Skip to content
    Print Icon  

Rent and Utility Assistance

keep the heat logo

 The City of Windsor is the Service Manager for rent and utility related assistance for Windsor and Essex County. A Housing Stability Plan (HSP) helps people at risk of homelessness to find housing, or keep their current housing. If you qualify for this program and are behind on your rent this program can help.

To apply for help with your rent, you need to:

  • Be a resident of Windsor/Essex County;
  • Have income from Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), or meet low income criteria set by the Ministry;
  • Have not received HSP assistance in the past 2 years;
  • Have housing costs that are affordable and sustainable;
  • Be no more than 2 months behind on your rent;
  • Be in immediate 
    danger of losing your home due to unpaid rent (eviction);
  • Have lived at the address for a minimum of one (1) year; and
  • Have a documented need to relocate (e.g. victim of violence, uninhabitable premises, recently discharged from an institution, health related).

You may also qualify for assistance to buy a fridge, stove, and bed(s) when setting up a new home.

  • If you are on OW or ODSP, contact your caseworker to see if you qualify and/or apply.
  • Other individuals/families with a low income can call the City of Windsor Housing and Children's Services division at 519-255-5200, ext. 5289 (Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM) for an application .

Energy related programs

Keep the Heat:

keep the heat logo




Keep the Heat is an emergency assistance program that provides funding for heat and energy to households who qualify.

To apply for energy related assistance:

  • You must have received a notice that your utilities will be shut off;
  • You are experiencing financial difficulty.

Windsor application sites:

  • Can-Am Urban Native Homes Windsor Inc.180 Tecumseh Road East - T. 519-977-7782
  • Housing Information Services 3450 Ypres Avenue, Suite 200 - T. 519-254-4824
  • Unemployed Help Centre 6955 Cantelon Drive - T. 519-944-4900

County application sites:

  • Amherstburg Community Services - T. 519-736-5471
  • Unemployed Help Centre - Belleriver - T. 519-944-4900
  • South Essex Community Council - T. 519-326-8629