Skip to content
    Print Icon  
  •  

Summary of the Municipal History of the County of Essex (1792 - 1923)

  • 1792 The Province of Upper Canada was divided into 19 counties by proclamation.
  • 1800 An Act for the Better Division of the Province was proclaimed describing the make-up of Essex and Kent counties which constituted the Western District.
  • 1817 An Act to establish a police village in Amherstburg; in 1851 Amherstburg incorporated as a Village; in 1878 as a Town. Amherstburg was the first incorporation in the County of Essex. Restructured in 1998.
  • 1817 An Act to establish a police village in Sandwich which continued as a Town with no municipal status until 1858 when it was incorporated as a Town. In 1935, Sandwich amalgamated with the City of Windsor.
  • 1845 An Act for better defining the limits of the Counties and Districts for Upper Canada...for erecting certain new Townships, for detaching Townships from some counties and attaching them to others...”Essex will include and consist of the Townships of Anderdon, Colchester, Gosfield, Maidstone, Mersea, Malden, Rochester and Sandwich”.
  • 1847 An Act to divide the Western District...that the Township of West Tilbury... be united to and form part of the County of Essex.
  • 1850 An Act to provide for the erection of Municipal Corporations; Anderdon, Colchester, Gosfield, Maidstone, Malden, Mersea, Rochester and West Tilbury were incorporated. The Townships of Anderdon, Malden and Maidstone were all restructured in 1998. The Townships of Mersea and Rochester were restructured in 1999.
  • 1854 Windsor incorporated as a Village; in 1858 as a Town; in 1892 as a City.
  • 1861 The Township of Sandwich divided into 2 distinct municipalities, the Township of Sandwich East and the Township of Sandwich West.
  • 1869 Pelee Township incorporated.
  • 1874 Belle River incorporated as a Village; in 1969 as a Town by OMB order. Restructured in 1998.
  • 1874 Leamington incorporated as a Village; in 1890 as a Town. Restructured in 1999.
  • 1877 Kingsville incorporated as a Village; in 1901 as a Town. 1879 Division of the Township of Colchester into the Township of Colchester North and the Township of Colchester South. All restructured in 1999.
  • 1881 Stoney Point erected as a Police Village. Dissolved in 1994.
  • 1883 Essex Centre incorporated as a Village; in 1890 as a Town by the name of Essex. Restructured in 1999.
  • 1887 Division of the Township of Gosfield into the Township of Gosfield North and the Township of Gosfield South. Restructured in 1999
  • 1890 Comber was erected as a Police Village. Dissolved in 1998
  • 1890 Walkerville incorporated as a Town; in 1935 amalgamated with City of Windsor.
  • 1891 Division of the Township of Tilbury West into the Township of Tilbury North and the Township of Tilbury West. Restructured in 1999.
  • 1892 Division of the Township of Sandwich East into the Township of Sandwich East and the Township of Sandwich South. Township of Sandwich South restructured in 1999.
  • 1898 Harrow incorporated as a Police Village; in 1930 as a Town. Restructured in 1999.
  • 1912 Ford City incorporated as a Village; in 1915 as a Town; in 1929 as a City-East Windsor; in 1935 amalgamated with City of Windsor.
  • 1913 Ojibway incorporated as a Town by Act of Parliament; in 1966 annexed by City of Windsor-OMB decision.
  • 1914 St. Clair Village incorporated as a Village. Restructured in 1999.
  • 1914 Cottam erected as a Police Village. Dissolved in 1994.
  • 1921 Tecumseh incorporated as a Town. Restructured in 1999. January 1, 2003, 6,300 acres of land transferred to the City of Windsor.
  • 1921 Riverside incorporated as a Town; in 1966 annexed by the City of Windsor.
  • 1924 LaSalle incorporated as a Town; in 1959 dissolved into Township of Sandwich West; in 1991 status of Sandwich West Township changed and named Town of LaSalle.
  • 1924 Seacliffe incorporated as a Police Village. Dissolved in 1997.

Taken from "Statutory Chronology of Ontario Counties and Municipalities". Compiled by Thomas A. Hillman, and "The Corporation of the County of Essex Municipal Directory."