Skip to content
    Print Icon  
  •  

First Meeting of Essex County Council

  • In the late 1880’s, Essex County had seen fur trading, logging, land clearing, farming, road building, railway development, saw mills and gristmills, railway stations and water ports
  • Lumber industry was fading
  •  January 26, 1897 - the first meeting of Essex County Council, (under The County Councils Act, 1896), was held in the Council Chambers of the Court House, Sandwich (today Mackenzie Hall) until 1974Former County Council Administration Offices - now called Mackenzie Hall
  • The offices moved to present Essex County Civic Centre in the Town of Essex in 1974.

Essex County Civic Centre as it appeared in 1974